Sunday 23 February 2014

SOCHI 2014: AUSTRIAN JOHANNES DUERR FAILS DRUG TEST

Johannes Duerr
 Austrian cross-country skier Johannes Duerr has been suspended from the Winter Olympics in Sochi after testing positive for blood-boosting drug EPO.

Duerr, who earlier finished eighth in the skiathlon, was due to be a seeded starter in the final cross-country event - the 50km mass start free.
He tested positive for EPO in pre-competition doping control in Austria.
Duerr, who has now been sent home by his federation, is the fifth athlete to test positive at the Games.
Latvian hockey player Vitalijs Pavlovs, Ukrainian cross-country skier Marina Lisogor, German biathlete Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle and Italian bobsleigher William Frullani have all so far tested positive for banned substances under the International Olympic Committee's doping control programme.
EPO, or recombinant erythropoietin, belongs to class S2 on the prohibited substances list.
After being caught and subsequently sent home the 26-year-old apologised for letting down all the people who had helped and supported him during his career.
"There's nothing left for me than to apologise to everyone. To my family, my wife," Duerr told Austrian TV ORF.
"For me the main thing is simply all the people I disappointed ... yes, I can't make it good again but I would just like to apologise."
Duerr also admitted to being relieved that everything was now out in the open.
"So many people worked their butts off for me and I disappointed them with my stupidity," he said.
"First of all I would simply like to apologise and everything else, all further steps, we'll see what comes my way. I don't know myself yet. Part of me is happy that it came to an end."
Austrian Olympic chief Karl Stoss said the news had "shocked" him, adding: "Johannes is a great guy, so I don't understand how it could happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment